Before you get started, make a list and head to the shops to make sure you have all you need for your cute little Gingerbread Men.
Makes roughly 25-30
Prep Time: 20 minutes (+ 45 minutes chilling time)
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
150g unsalted butter | 1/2 cup golden syrup | 1/2 cup brown sugar | 1 tsp bi-carb soda |
3 cups plain flour | 1 tbsp ground ginger | 1 tsp ground cinnamon | 1/2 tsp nutmeg |
1/2 tsp ground cloves | 1/2 tsp baking powder | 1 egg (lightly whisked)
1. Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
2. Place the butter, golden syrup and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes (or until sugar dissolves). Bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
3. Add Bi-Carb Soda and stir to combine. Transfer to a large heat proof bowl and set aside to cool.
4. Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and baking powder over the butter mixture. Add egg and stir until combined.
5. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Divide dough into two portions and shape each portion into a disc and cover with Glad Wrap.
6. Refrigerate for 45 minutes or until firm.
7. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius (fan-forced). Roll one portion of dough between two sheets of baking paper, until it is 5mm thick.
8. Use Gingerbread Cookie Cutters to cut shapes from the dough, carefully lift them onto tray, leaving 3cm between each (to leave space for spreading). Be sure to use left over dough/scraps again until all is used.
9. Bake one tray at a time for 8 minutes or until just firm to touch.
10. Cool on tray for 5 minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining Gingerbread portion. And once cool, decorate with Royal Icing (see below recipe).
ROYAL ICING INGREDIENTS
1 & 1/2 cups pure icing sugar | 1 egg white
1. Combine both ingredients and stir until smooth. Make sure mixture is very thick and not runny.
2. Place mix into a piping bag and slowly pipe the icing onto your Gingerbread Men.
3. Feel free to add extra goodies, like chocolate chips, sprinkles or food colouring to make them more unique!
4. Leave the Gingerbread Men for 15 minutes, for icing to set before placing in an air-tight container. Consume within 1 week (if they last that long!)
Gingerbread Men are a great Christmas treat, everyone loves them and they are super cute to display on a dessert table, or wrap up in cellophane as homemade Christmas gifts…